The “Support to the High Judicial Council” Project (hereinafter: the Project) is funded and managed by the European Union and implemented by GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH).
The Project aims at contributing to the judicial system and rule of law in Serbia in accordance with the EU accession requirements and its duration is from 15 October 2018 to 14 March 2022.
The main Project beneficiary is the High Judicial Council (hereinafter: the Council, ), i.e. the Council members, the staff of the Council’s Administrative Office (hereinafter: the Office) and members of the Council’s permanent bodies.
The Project's implementing partner is the Ministry of Justice.
The stakeholders which take an active role in the Project when necessary are the Supreme Court of Cassation and other courts, as well as the Judicial Academy.
THE PROJECT PRIORITIES
- Strengthening the independence, accountability and transparency of the judiciary in the Republic of Serbia
- Capacity building for the Council (and its working bodies) in the key areas of competences established by the Constitution and law
- Capacity building for the Council’s Office for providing effective and efficient professional, administrative, technical and other support to the Council
- Support to the implementation of goals and tasks of the Council as defined by the strategic documents for judicial reform and Chapter 23 of the negotiating process with the EU
THE PROJECT PURPOSE
The project purpose is strengthening the capacities for the Council’s key competences, including:
- improving the managerial skills of the Council’s staff,
- devising the mechanisms for judges’ career development,
- improving financial management / budget planning,
- improving the efficiency of disciplinary proceedings.
- Improved organizational structure and business processes of the Council and its working bodies, as well as of the Office
- Improved business processes and capacities of the Office staff concerning financial management, budget planning, reporting and oversight of budgetary funds
- Effectively implemented mechanisms for career development in the judiciary
- Enhanced procedures and capacities of the Council for effective management of disciplinary proceedings